RECIPE BY SAVORY/SWEET/ECLECTIC
Serve these poached and grilled bratwursts topped with the Warm Tomato and Citrus Balsamic Compote
Yield: 6 servings
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 small onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, smashed
2 cups chicken or beef broth
1/4 cup T-Roxel’s Citrus Balsamic Vinegar
1 cup water
6 bratwurst sausage links
6 large sized hot dog buns
1. In a large skillet or sauté pan, heat vegetable oil and add sliced onion. Sauté onion until they begin to turn translucent. Once the onions are soft, add garlic and cook until fragrant.
2. Add broth, T-Roxel’s Citrus Balsamic Vinegar and water. Bring liquid to boil and reduce to simmer. Add bratwursts to simmering poaching liquid. Make sure the sausages are fully submerged in the poaching liquid. Add more broth or water if necessary.
3. Poach the bratwursts in the simmering liquid for 7-10 minutes. At this point, the Bratwurst will NOT be fully cooked
4. Transfer the poached bratwursts to a hot grill and grill until the internal temperature of the sausages reaches 175 degrees F.
5. Serve inside grilled buns and top with our Warm Tomato and Citrus Balsamic Compote.
Tomato and Citrus Balsamic Compote
This is a topping that will pair well with the grilled Bratwurst Sausages or grilled pork.
Yield: 2 cups of sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup red or yellow pepper, 1/2 inch dice
1 pound roma tomatoes, seeded and 1/2 inch dice (OR cherry tomatoes cut in half)
1 teaspoon sugar
1/3 cup T-Roxel’s Citrus Balsamic vinegar
to taste Salt and pepper
1/4 teaspoon T-Roxel’s Habanero Olive Oil
2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
1. Heat olive oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Cook until the onions are soft and begin to turn a caramel color (about 6-10 minutes)
2. Add garlic and heat until the garlic becomes fragrant.
3. Add the peppers, and saute until they become very soft.
4. Add the tomatoes and Citrus Balsamic and cook over medium heat until the juice renders from the tomatoes and the tomatoes become soft but still have some structure (about 5-10 minutes depending on the ripeness of the tomatoes). Add in the Habanero Olive Oil
5. Adjust the seasoning with salt to taste.
6. Remove from the heat and stir in the chopped Italian parsley.
7. Serve over grilled pork sausage or grilled pork.
2011 Cabernet Franc